Why homeschool?

Moderator: janetp

<<

dpeachy1

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:57 am

Why homeschool?

There's a lot of talk about why homeschooling is a good alternative to public school, but why did you really start homeschooling? Was it honestly the purely logical choice?

My reasons:

In 6th grade, my teacher made us go over place value for over a week because a few kids in the class just didn't get it. Yeah, frustration with school might be one of my number one reasons. There's logic behind the emotion, though.

Some states are strict with their standards, but in states like Texas I'm pretty free to teach my son the way I want. We will keep going over a subject until he gets it, and not just stamp an F on a paper and move on. Conversely, if he understands something well, we don't have to keep reviewing it every blessed school year. Also, I can let him advance as far as he wants in subjects he enjoys instead of having to stick to grade level material.

Finally, he's my kid and I don't want to ask the permission of an institution when we want to go on a trip to say.. Myanmar. If we want to go, we go.

It's all about the freedom.
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Re: Why homeschool?

Yeah, freedom is definitely a big part of our decision too.

In my school district they had just switched to full day kindergarten the year before Maddie would have gone. Barely 5 years old and she'd have had to take the bus, be in school all day, have lunch there. When I talked to other parents who sent their kids the best they could do was say "they get used to it." What?! 5 years olds should not be "getting used to it". She never went.
<<

dpeachy1

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:26 am

I think all day school for kindergarteners is mostly just free daycare. It's not like you can get them to actually do work for that long. Riding the bus with 5th graders... no.
<<

retha

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:01 pm

When our Ethan was very small he used to refer to "children going to work". I think he was onto something there.

Homeschooling for me did not start out as anything to do with education. It was my inability to leave my child and go home.
I tried taking him to a playgroup when he was 4. I cried all the way home. When I got home I phoned Jason, he said; "go fetch him immediately" I obeyed and here we are, 11 years later still together.
Looking back, I think I should have been less strict on learning and do more of just being and playing.
One example; I just did my merry old thing as we went. This year we enrolled Ethan for a homeschool program - one week and we deregistered - the maths that his year pupils are doing is what we did last year! And these people boast that they are private and not a government institution. :? Saves us lots of money!
Something else that was a shock to me was the aggressive way the teachers approach their teaching. You shall this and that, you shall never that... I do not like it when people think they are the ultimate in any situation, that is what I felt with them; 'all knowledge reside within themselves.'
Right now I do not know how our path will end or where we will be in 3 years time. For now I believe we are doing what is right for how we live. My thinking is learning will take place. What and how is influenced by the personality and character of the family.

Finally, he's my kid and I don't want to ask the permission of an institution when we want to go on a trip to say.. Myanmar. If we want to go, we go.
That reminds me, how are you doing with learning the language? If I may ask.
<<

dpeachy1

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:30 pm

That reminds me, how are you doing with learning the language? If I may ask.

Pretty well, thanks for asking. We went to Myanmar last month and were able to talk to the locals a bit. We watched a movie in the language and Noah was able to understand some things here and there. It's a tough language, but we muddle through. :)

Return to Homeschool Stuff