extracurricular activities

Moderator: janetp

<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:29 pm

extracurricular activities

What activities does you kid participate in outside the home?

We've seen so many homeschoolers, especially new homeschoolers, really overdo the activities. They are always on the go. They get sick a lot. They are exhausted. And they don't enjoy themselves.

Maddie takes 2 art classes a week at this really awesome art studio (she does digital art on Saturday mornings, and manga drawing on Tuesday nights). Once a month she volunteers at the library with their "Volunteen" program. She loves both of those activities. She's also a Girl Scout, but she's really cut back on what she does with them.
<<

dpeachy1

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:10 am

Re: extracurricular activities

Nothing structured right now. It's more a matter of just getting him out of the house to be around other kids a couple times a week. He can't play with the neighbor kids because they're... evil. :evil:
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 am

That's an issue for us too. We do have a homeschool family right across the street. But they aren't a good playmate fit: all boys, and all wild and into sports. Not what my artistic, bookish girl wants to hang out with. Her friends are in other towns, which is a pain. But her classes really seem to fill that friend gap. They chat a lot during art and she sees most of the same kids session to session.
<<

retha

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:31 pm

He does horse riding one day a week and help the stable lady with odd jobs that day. It is an individual class.
Does cricket practice once a week with his age group, 2 other boys. And twice a week with the big guys/men.
For years and years himself and Jason has been going to the nets to practice and he has been to so many clubs to play. But never had the opportunity to actually play
matches. This club has only 3 under 15 players - one team consist of 11. The coach invited Ethan to practice with the seniors. I think partly of the lack of players and even though I so myself, because he is good at cricket.
Other than this we do nothing as interaction with other children or grownups. We tried it years ago, every single time it ended in a disaster, gave it up and decided
socialization is overrated.
Still I do have that flicker of a want or hope that before he is too grown up he will still have a friend to do some child things with.
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:34 pm

retha wrote:decided socialization is overrated.

So true!

Return to Homeschool Stuff