high school diploma vs. GED

Moderator: janetp

<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 pm

high school diploma vs. GED

So have any of you looked into accredited high school diplomas vs. homeschool issue diplomas vs. GED? I'm going to have to figure out what to have Maddie do soon (well, in the next year or two - for a hyperactive planner like me, that's practically tomorrow!) In Illinois we have virtually no state regulation, so I can just declare her "graduated" at any point and issue a diploma. Ultimately I'll need to see what the college(s) of her choice require. I know I'll need to make her a transcript. Not sure about the diploma side of things.

But before everyone and his brother start asking me what I plan to do, I'd love to hear thoughts from those of you who actually know and love homeschool!
<<

retha

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 am

Re: high school diploma vs. GED

May I ask what is the difference between those -
accredited high school diplomas vs. homeschool issue diplomas vs. GED - and
the other 'letter' I read of, SAT, GRE and I can not remember what else I read.
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 pm

By high school diploma I mean one that is just issued by a homeschool. Accredited means it comes from a state accredited school or an online school (so it would be more costly to do). GED stands for General Educational Development. It is a test you can take in the U.S. to show you've mastered the high school level subjects. If I remember right, you can't take the GED until after your equivalent high school class has graduated. That would be too late for college entrance in the fall of the same year, so that wouldn't help much.

SAT and ACT are the 2 big college entrance exams in the U.S. GRE is the entrance exam for graduate school (after an undergraduate college program). There are other specialty tests too like the MCAT for medical school, or the GMAT for business school or the LSAT for law school.

I know she'll need an ACT score for college (in our area of the country, that is the more common test). I think I've answered my own question: she takes the ACT, I prepare a transcript for her, and issue a diploma that she's graduated from our homeschool high school.
<<

dpeachy1

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:22 am

My friend used an accredited school to get a diploma, but the community college she went to still had her take an entrance test for homeschooled kids. She thinks the accredited diploma didn't get her anywhere.
<<

dpeachy1

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:30 am

Oh, and a lot of my friends use Penn Foster, but they don't even have Algebra. They only have consumer math which is for kids that have no interest or ability in math. Super lame. American School still requires some correspondence. VirtualEdu was cheap, but Noah and I both hated all of the Animoto assignments. Essays would have been better and easier. Everything else that offers a diploma looks too expensive to me.
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:04 pm

I haven't looked very closely at any schools with diplomas, but from what I've seen they were both pricy and more intrusive than we want.
<<

dpeachy1

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 am

I'm looking again at (sigh) Penn Foster (sigh). They do offer algebra as an elective along with other higher math classes. If you pay about $1000 up front you get all 4 years of high school including books and shipping costs. They also offer monthly payments, but that will cost you another $300 in the end. $250 a year isn't bad for a basic high school program and he gets an accredited diploma in the end.

He's been asking for more structure.
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Sorry.

That does seem like a good deal though. Between fees and books and all the other costs, that's probably less than what public school would cost.
<<

Lisa

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:31 am

Emily isn't able to do GED . She will receive a homeschool diploma. :D

Can you believe this will be her senior year? :shock:
<<

retha

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Homeschool diplomas as GREAT specially if Momma's who has been working very hard is the one issuing it.

I think you deserve not a diploma but a Professor in administering all the learning you gave!
Next

Return to Homeschool Stuff