Preparing kids for the real world

Moderator: janetp

<<

dpeachy1

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 am

Preparing kids for the real world

I feel like I'm too soft on Noah. I tend to back off a little when he really doesn't want to do something. I sometimes feel that if he had another teacher, he would work harder. Anyone else feel that way?
<<

retha

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:12 am

Re: Preparing kids for the real world

Yes, we have the same situation.
I now see that I could have left him more often to not do what he did not feel like doing.
In our situation, this year when I saw what a registered online school in SA do, I saw
we are way ahead of them. That is number one.
My number two thought; when in 3 years time if he is not ready to do the end of school test,
then he can do it the following year.
Looking back at where Jason is now at work, I see that a one year will not make any difference.

For me, I think I am still too much set in the school ways in my head.
What I want to do now is to allow Ethan to enjoy life, with less "I have to now, for what if the department ..."
My life is not driven by what others might do to me, why am I teaching him to go through life like that.

I know there are certain things that has to be done, like paying the telephone/drivers license/driving on the left hand side of the road (here by us)/go to work...
but that he learns has to be done by observing Jason and my behaviour.

And this dear dpeachy1 is my long thoughts.
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:12 am

I've been worrying about the same thing in relation to writing. I never make her do it, and so she's never really done it. I'm hoping the unschooling promise will kick in that when she needs to, in order to get/learn something she wants, she will. But I think I need to make her try a little harder now.
<<

dpeachy1

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:48 am

Noah is ahead in a lot of ways. When he did time4learning and eTap he got a lot of the basic things kids in school have to learn. Using Khan Academy is helpful as well. It's nice to know that he knows things about history that I've forgotten already. :) As fa as learning goes, I think he's ok.

I still kind of worry that I haven't prepared him for a real job in the real world. I wonder if I should push a little harder or if the unschoolers are right..
<<

janetp

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:40 pm

I work with a lot of the young people at our office, in their 20's and recent college grads. They all went to public or private school, and they aren't ready for a job either. The difference between someone who is 22 and someone who is 32 is huge!
<<

retha

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:45 am

It seems to me that gap between 22 and 32 has a lot to do with how people get all in put and no need to actually use their brain
the hard old fashion way.

Return to Homeschool Stuff